This is my (picky) sons favourite breakfast. Or lunch. Or whatever. I’ve been making it now for probably a year, but only after he went to bed so he didn’t see that I was actually putting a VEGETABLE in his fav chocolate pudding!
I’ve taught this recipe at several different cooking classes as well, because I love the look on people’s faces when I tell them the delicious chocolate pudding they are eating is actually mostly CAULIFLOWER!! (I’m a little evil maybe 😉 ) Now before you stop reading, let me point out that the picky kid LOVES this stuff (and he doesn’t love much!)…and several dozen cooking class participants love it as well.
This is paleo, vegan, keto, and sugarless! It’s SUPER easy to make, is rich but yet still light and creamy. It’s full of healthy fats that will keep you full ’til your next meal.
First, steam your cauliflower until soft…verrrry soft. Drain and set aside to cool. Once cool enough to handle, add it and the remaining ingredients into a high powered blender and blend until completely smooth (it will take a few minutes). If you have a tamper on your blender it will help speed up the process, otherwise you may have to stop and stir things every once in a while (or if that ain’t working too well you can always start in your food processor and then transfer to your blender to get the last tiny bits blended in).
Now this is VERY IMPORTANT. You must chill your pudding in the fridge for at least a few hours until fully COLD. For whatever reason when the pudding is still warm you will still taste cauliflower, but once chilled the taste is nearly imperceptible. Top with shredded chocolate or blueberries, or both (definitely recommend adding blueberries, they completely override any remaining hint of cauliflower). Hope you enjoy your servings of veggies!! 😀
- medium to large head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 heaping tbsp coconut oil
- 3/4 of a (400 mL) can of full fat canned coconut milk + up to an extra ¼ can (this is my favourite as it's BPA free and has best taste and texture)
- 1 tbsp non-alcoholic vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 3 well-rounded tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp yacon syrup
- optional: liquid stevia, to taste
- Steam the cauliflower in a little bit of water until VERY soft. Like cook the life right out of it. Drain in colander and let it sit there to cool for a few minutes.
- Stir can of coconut milk to mix it well and add ¾ of it along with the other ingredients into a high powered blender. If you have a tamper that will help speed up the process, otherwise stop and stir often (or worst case scenario, use your food processor to get everything mixed and then finish in your blender to get out all remaining tiny pieces) Blend until completely smooth. If you notice that your blender is having a hard time blending the mixture slowly add extra coconut milk to help it along.
- Place in fridge until WELL CHILLED (otherwise you are more likely to taste the cauliflower) and serve with grated chocolate or with fresh berries (I highly recommend blueberries, the combination complements each other perfectly). You can also pour in popsicle molds and freeze until solid.