To take our mind off the election (because even us Canadians are having anxiety right now!) let’s talk chocolate. Who doesn’t love chocolate? When I looked through my kids Halloween loot last week about the only thing that was remotely tempting was my long-time favourite, Reese’s peanut butter cups. But then I read the label and realized that there was literally more toxic crap than actual food in it.
But I still had a craving for it, so I decided to come up with something of my own, that was ALL real food and NO toxic chemicals…and a little more ‘grown up’ with make-it-yourself pecan butter, rather than peanut butter (I have issues with peanut butter that I won’t get into here)…and the end result was amazeballs! This is sugarless, low glycemic, vegan, paleo and full of good for you anti-oxidants. And the best part? It tastes better than all that Halloween candy you’ve been eating this week 😉
First you need to make your pecan butter. Simply toss your pecans, coconut oil, salt and stevia into your food processor and process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
While you make the chocolate, toss your pecan butter into the fridge. To make the chocolate, melt your cocoa butter in a double boiler (make your own with a heat safe glass bowl or measuring cup in a pot with an inch or two of boiling water), then pour into your blender with the remaining chocolate ingredients and blend on high speed for 20-30 seconds. Next arrange your muffin liners on a cookie sheet and spoon just enough chocolate to barely cover the bottom (spread around with spoon if necessary).
Pop in the freezer for 3 minutes, or until firm. Divide pecan butter amongst the muffin liners, and make somewhat flat with the back of a spoon. Pop back into the freezer for about 10 minutes or until slightly firm. Spoon the remaining chocolate over top of the pecan butter so it just covers the pecan butter (use your spoon to spread it around). Place back in the freezer for about 30 minutes and serve.
- 2 c raw pecans
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- about 15 drops liquid stevia, or to taste
- Put all ingredients into a food processor (except stevia) and process until smooth, scraping down sides. Sweeten to taste with stevia and process briefly to mix.
- Place pecan butter in the fridge while making the chocolate.
- Melt cocoa butter in double boiler (or make your own with heat safe glass bowl placed in a pot with 1-2" of water in it - just make sure the water isn't high enough that it might get in the glass bowl)
- Pour melted cocoa butter in blender with remaining ingredients and blend on high 20-30 seconds
- Place muffin liners on cookie sheet (or in a muffin tin) and pour just enough chocolate to cover the bottom of the liner - spread with spoon if necessary. Pop into the freezer for 3 minutes, or until firm.
- Remove from freezer and evenly distribute pecan butter on top of chocolate layer. If necessary, use top of spoon to flatten out the pecan butter. Put back in freezer for 10 minutes or until slightly firm.
- When pecan butter is slightly firm then spoon just enough chocolate* to cover the pecan butter, using a spoon if necessary.
- Freeze for 30 minutes and then serve.
- Store leftovers in airtight container in freezer. Eat from frozen or let thaw 5-10 minutes before eating.