I am an Indian food junkie. And a roasted eggplant junkie. So this recipe is the perfect marriage between the two – rich, flavourful…and easy to boot! I adapted it from a new amazing cookbook I just bought, At home in the whole food kitchen.
First thing you’ll want to roast your eggplant on 2 parchment lined or greased cookie sheets or roasting pans. I chopped mine into about 1/2-3/4″ rounds, tossed them with melted ghee (coconut oil for vegan) and salt, and roasted them at 400 F for about 45-50 minutes or until soft and golden, tossing every 15 minutes.
Meanwhile heat the remaining ghee/oil in large pot over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and stir constantly until seeds begin to pop. Stir in the onion and remaining salt and continue to cook until golden. Then add garlic and ginger, cooking for a couple more minutes before adding curry, canned tomatoes and Lakanto.
Bring to a gentle simmer and add roasted eggplant and Lakanto. Return to a simmer for 10 minutes before adding in the greens, stirring until wilted (about 2 minutes). Season to taste with additional salt, red pepper flakes and Lakanto. Add chopped cilantro and yogurt/cashew cream (optional) before serving. Serve over a bed of quinoa.
- 3 lbs asian eggplant (long skinny kind), chopped in ½-3/4" rounds
- ⅓ c + 2 tbsp grassfed ghee* (or coconut oil for vegan)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp mild curry powder
- 2 tbsp Lakanto
- 2 x 28 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 c (packed) mixed baby greens
- optional: plain yogurt or cashew sour cream (see how to make here)
- red pepper flankes, to taste
- *grassfed ghee is a great choice for high heat roasting like we are doing here, plus also an excellent option for those wanting to improve gut health. Ghee is suitable for those who are lactose intolerant.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Melt ⅓ c ghee (or coconut oil). Put chopped eggplant in a large bowl and toss with melted ghee and 1 tsp salt, toss to coat.
- Line 2 cookie sheets (or large roasting pans) with parchment or grease liberally. Place eggplant slices on cookie sheets as evenly as possible and roast at 400 F until soft and slightly golden (approx 45-50 minutes), tossing them every 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat remaining ghee/oil in large pot over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and stir continually until they begin to pop. Reduce heat slightly, add onions and remaining 1 tsp of salt and cover, stirring occasionally, until golden.
- Bring heat back up to medium and add ginger and garlic, cooking for another 3 minutes. Then add curry powder and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Add canned tomatoes and Lakanto and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add roasted eggplant and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add baby greens and stir until wilted (about 2 minutes).
- Remove from heat, and season to taste with red pepper flakes, Lakanto and salt.
- Serve with chopped cilantro and a dollop of yogurt or cashew sour cream (optional) over a bed of quinoa.