Holiday season is just around the corner…and with that comes all the usual not-so-healthy-but-oh-so-delicious fare. Last Xmas my mother in law made the most fantastic candied nuts that were so addictive, I’ve been thinking of them ever since! So naturally now that it’s like a month-ish away from Xmas I figured I could start pulling out some holiday cheer with my guilt-free version of candied nuts. They are sugarless, low glycemic, paleo, gut friendly…and my kids went nuts for them (heheh!). A tin of these would make excellent gifts for any health conscious friend or family – or keep these addictive snacks all to yourself!
You’ll start with 4 cups of your nuts of choice (I had pecans, almonds and cashews on hand).
Add nuts to a large mixing bowl with shredded coconut and set aside. In a separate bowl whisk two egg whites until bubbly, then add remaining ingredients and whisk again to combine. Pour wet ingredients over nuts and coconut and mix well until coated. Spread nuts out on a single layer on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
Bake at 250F for about 60-90 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes, until all of the liquid is gone. Let cool fully before eating. Store somewhere dry, will keep for a long time…that is, if they last!!
- Preheat oven to 250F
- Pour nuts and coconut into a large mixing bowl, set aside
- In a small mixing bowl whisk egg whites until bubbly. Add remaining ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Pour wet mixture over nuts and coconut and stir to coat nuts evenly.
- Spread mixture in a single layer on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 60-90 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes, until all liquid is gone.
- Let cool completely before eating or storing.
- Store someplace cool and dry, will keep for at least a month.