Happy New Year!!! After a nice holiday season with my family it now feels like time to do some re-evaluating with our food. I’m certainly feeling the effects of the holidays, and I’m feeling like it’s time for a bit of a reset with my kids as well. Though I’m diligent in making my kids eat lots of veggies and minimizing added sugar, I definitely often take the easy route with grain-based breakfasts and lunches.
My goal is to really focus on finding grain-free alternatives that my kids will actually eat, so that we can work on having a less carb-heavy diet (as I know that grains were linked with my depression/gut health issues, and there is lots of auto-immune disease in their extended family which is also linked to poor gut health). So here is my first kid-friendly breakfast recipe. It’s easy to make, has lots of protein (with all the essential amino acids), healthy fats and even a tiny bit of veggies to help keep them (or you!) satisfied for hours. You can make recipe nut-free as well.
First you will make a flax egg by combining 1 tbsp ground flax with 3 tbsp of water. Then add your nut or seed butter of choice, baking soda, some Swerve/Lakanto, yacon syrup, vanilla and salt to your processor and process until combined. Scrape mixture into a large mixing bowl and stir in coconut, hemp seeds, shredded carrot and pumpkin seeds until well mixed.
Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment and scoop out 1 heaping tablespoon of mixture at a time, and roll into ball. Flatten gently to about 1/4-1/2″ thick with at least 1/2″ between cookies. Bake at 350F for about 15 minutes, until edges begin to turn golden. Let cool on cookie sheet and store, uncovered at room temperature.
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 c nut or seed butter of choice (my favourite was almond/hazelnut butter but tahini also very good)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅓ c Swerve or Lakanto
- 1 tsp powdered vanilla or vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- optional: 2 tbsp yacon syrup (my kids like things on the sweet side but feel free to omit if you don't)
- ¾ c unsweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ c hemp seeds
- ½ c (packed) shredded carrot*
- optional: ⅓ c pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Make flax egg by mixing ground flax and water together. Set aside.
- Add nut/seed butter, baking soda, Swerve/Lakanto, vanilla, salt and yacon syrup (if using) in a food processor and process until mixed.
- Scrape mixture into a mixing bowl and stir in remaining ingredients, including flax egg.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of mixture at a time and shape into a ball. Flatten gently on cookie sheet until about ¼ - ½" thick, leaving at least ½" between cookies. Mixture will make about 15-18 cookies.
- Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden.
- Let cool completely before handling. Store uncovered at room temperature.
**This recipe contains links to affiliate products. I don't recommend anything that I don't use myself, and using these links does not cost you anything extra, but I get paid a small percentage which helps keep this blog going.