As you may have caught in earlier posts, I’m really trying hard to be more creative in finding good low sugar options for my kids to eat – that they actually like! In the past I definitely did a lot of defaulting to what was quick and easy and what wouldn’t be met with a big unhappy ‘awwwwwww’ when I announced what was on the menu for meals and snacks.
Here is a kid-approved, after school, tide-me-over-til-supper kind of snack (for them and me!!!). It’s a moist, chewy, gently sweetened snack bite with a nutritional punch! It’s jam packed with all the goodies like omega 3’s, protein, minerals, healthy fats, anti-oxidants, fibre…and even a yummy superfood thrown in for fun!
I used some lucuma powder for it’s sweet caramel like flavour (that has no impact on blood sugar FYI). It’s high in many crucial minerals such as calcium and iron, plus studies are suggesting it has anti-inflammatory, anti-aging and skin-repair effects on human skin – BONUS!!
This is a very simple recipe to make. Mix your dry goods in a large mixing bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix well using your hands (handle with wet hands for best results). Line a cookie sheet with parchment and flatten out mixture until it’s about 1/4-1/8″ thick. Gently score with a knife into 1″ squares and bake at 400 F for about 25 minutes or until the outer edges start turning brown.
Let cool and then break apart into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
- ½ c pumpkin seeds coarsely chopped
- 1 c ground flax (ideally grind your own in coffee grinder as ground flax tends to go rancid quickly)
- 1 c ground chia
- ½ c hemp seeds
- 1 c unsweetened shredded coconut
- pinch sea salt
- ¼ c lucuma powder
- ⅔ c Lakanto or Swerve
- 1 c water
- 3 tbsp Frontier Vanilla Flavour (you can use extract, but just flavour to taste and increase sweetener)
- 3 tbsp yacon syrup
- **As I am attempting to keep things low sugar/low glycemic I have not added any dried fruit, but a handful or two of raisins would likely be really good if you wanted things to be sweeter**
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Mix pumpkin seeds, ground chia and flax, hemp seeds, coconut, salt, lucuma, and Lakanto in a large mixing bowl.
- Add water, vanilla, and yacon syrup and mix well using hands (wet hands help prevent sticking)
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment and spread mixture out evenly ⅛-1/4" thick.
- Lightly score with a knife to make 1" squares.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the outer edges begin to turn brown.
- Let cool fully and then cut or tear into squares and store uncovered at room temperature.