Despite the fact that I do indeed have a food blog…I don’t always love spending lots of time the kitchen. I have a vast repertoire of quick, healthy, easy recipes that everyone likes that I can make when I’m short on time – or just don’t really feel like cooking!
This yummy mini-quiche recipe hits all those key points. It’s light and fluffy like the egg version (last time I made these my husband asked me to verify that they were indeed egg-less), is a good source of protein and fibre, has bit of a Mexican spin on it and the kids love them! Start to finish is less than half an hour, and top them with some salsa and a side of veggies and you are good to go!
First you saute your pepper, onion, garlic and jalapeño (if using) until golden.
Then briefly blend your water, chickpea flour, olive oil, nutritional yeast, and seasonings (to taste). Add to a large mixing bowl with your sautéed veggies and your cilantro and mix well. Grease a muffin tin and add about 1/4 c of mixture for each quiche. Bake at 500 F, for 11-15 minutes (using convection oven) or about 20 using standard oven, until golden and pulling away from the sides of muffin tin.
Let cool for a few minutes before using a butter knife to gently separate quiche from muffin tin. Eat as is or topped with salsa. Refrigerate leftovers up to 4 days in sealed container.
- 1 large red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno (optional), finely chopped
- 1¼ c chickpea flour (sometimes called garbanzo flour)
- 1½ c water
- 2 heaping tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to grease muffin tin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- mexican seasoning, to taste (if you don't have a spice blend that you like, try a combination of cumin, paprika and a little chili pepper)
- ¼ c finely chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 500 F (use convection if you have it)
- Saute onion, red pepper, garlic and jalapeno (if using) in 1 tbsp of oil until soft and beginning to turn golden.
- Meanwhile blend chickpea flour, water, nutritional yeast, 2 tbsp olive oil, salt/pepper and mexican seasonings in blender. Adjust spices to taste.
- Pour mixture in large mixing bowl and add sautéed veggies and cilantro and mix well.
- Grease muffin tin well with olive oil and pour about ¼ c of mixture per quiche (makes 12).
- Bake for about 11-15 minutes in convection oven, or about 20 minutes in regular oven. Done when they are golden and pulled away from the sides of the muffin tin.
- Let cool for a couple minutes before gently removing from muffin tin with a butter knife.
- Serve as is or with your favourite salsa.
- Store leftovers in fridge for up to 4 days.