When I was in India someone told me to taste this Bengali dish called “pabda fish curry”. And to be honest it was too good I had to order it twice. Later I packed it for my kids also. My kids loved it too. The best part about this recipe is it is easy to cook and healthy. Here in this blog article I am going to share with you all the recipes to make Pabda fish curry and the ingredients you need to cook it.
Ingredients Required For Making Pabda Fish Curry
- Pabda Fish: 5 large
- Onion slice: 1 cup
- Green Chili: 3
- Coriander leaves: handful
- Mustard Oil: ¼ cup
- Warm Water: 2 cups
- Roasted Cumin powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Ginger: 2″, chopped
- Turmeric powder: 2 tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 1 tbsp
- Salt: 1.5 tsp
Procedure For Making Pabda Fish Curry
- Wash and clean the fish. Marinate the whole fish with 1 tsp. turmeric powder, ½ tsp. Chili powder, ½ tsp. Salt and a few drops of oil. Coat the fish well with the spices on both sides. 10 to 15 minutes a side.
- Heat the mustard oil in a large pan. Sprinkle ½ teaspoon. Tea with salt in hot oil. When the salt dissolves, add a fish with caution in the hot oil. Be very careful as Pabda sprinkles hot oil like any other fish. Let the flame boil.
- Pabda is a very soft fleshy fish, so it takes very little time to cook well. A big fish like mine will take 3 minutes on the first side and 2 minutes on the second side. You must be very careful when frying the fish, otherwise the fish will break (like the first one).
- Remove the fish from the oil and keep it away.
- Transfer the same oil into a heavy soil form. Add green chili and stir gently.Add the cumin-ginger mixture to hot oil and stir well to fry the ingredients on medium heat.
- Fry all the crushed spices and fry until the oil of ingredients separates, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add half (in quantity) the water and now just bring it to a boil. Adjust the spice and add the rest of the water. Cook with a high flame.
- Add a fish individually which has already been roasted with boiling curry. Boil for 3 to 5 minutes on high flame.
- Turn off the flame and keep the curry 10 to 15 minutes in the fish, covered.
- Add chopped coriander leaves before serving and serve with hot rice.
Also read: Thai Basil Soup With Vegan Fish Sauce
Why You Will Love Pabda Fish Curry
In Bengal (India), a popular dish is pabda fish curry. There is a freshwater catfish called pabda used in the preparation. Onion, ginger, garlic, and tomatoes form the base of the sauce used to cook the fish. Rice or roti are common additions to this meal. A recipe from India called pabda fish curry is both tasty and nutritious. In this case, the pabda fish—a freshwater fish—is the big attraction. If you’re trying to lose weight or just eat healthier overall, pabda fish is a great choice because of its high protein content and low fat content. Spices like turmeric, cumin, and chili powder are just some of the ingredients in this delicious curry. The curry’s signature taste comes from the blend of spices used.