The holiday season is just around the corner…and with that comes all the usual not-so-healthy-but-oh-so-delicious fare. Last Xmas my mother-in-law made the most fantastic paleo candied nuts that were so addictive, I’ve been thinking of them ever since!
So naturally, now that it’s like a month-ish away from Xmas I figured I could start pulling out some holiday cheer with my guilt-free version of candied nuts. They are sugarless, low glycemic, paleo, and gut-friendly…and my kids went paleo candied nuts for them (hehe!).
A tin of these would make excellent gifts for any health-conscious friend or family – or keep these addictive snacks all to yourself!
You’ll start with 4 cups of your nuts of choice (I had pecans, almonds, and cashews on hand).
HOW TO MAKE SUGARLESS PALEO CANDIED NUTS
Add nuts to a large mixing bowl with shredded coconut and set aside. In a separate bowl whisk two egg whites until bubbly. Then add the remaining ingredients and whisk again to combine. Pour wet ingredients over nuts and coconut and mix well until coated. Spread paleo candied nuts out on a single layer on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
Bake at 250F for about 60-90 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes, until all of the liquid is gone. Let cool fully before eating. Store somewhere dry will keep for a long time…that is if they last!!
|Also Read: Guilt-Free Paleo Gingerbread Cookie Recipe|
KEY POINT FOR SUGARLESS PALEO CANDIED NUTS
1 hour 20 mins
If you have something this yummy on hand during the holiday season, it will be much easier to not go crazy on all the sugary stuff laying around.
Recipe type: snack
Serves: 4.5 cups
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE DELICIOUS NUTS
- 4 cups raw mixed nuts
- ½ c unsweetened shredded coconut
- Also, 2 large egg whites
- ½ c yacon syrup, (coconut syrup is also low glycemic, or if unavailable use maple syrup)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp Frontier vanilla flavor, or vanilla powder
- optional – 2 tsp cinnamon
INSTRUCTIONS TO BE FOLLOWED FOR PALEO NUTS
- Preheat the oven to 250F to make paleo candied nuts.
- Pour nuts and coconut into a large mixing bowl, and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk egg whites until bubbly. Add remaining ingredients and try to whisk them to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture over the nuts and coconut and stir to coat the nuts evenly.
- Spread the mixture in a single layer on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 60-90 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes until all liquid is gone.
- Let cool completely before eating or storing.
- Store someplace cool and dry and will keep for at least a month.
ADDITIONAL POINT: HOW TO MAKE PALEO CANDIED PECANS
Candied pecans are one of my favorite treats (besides paleo candied nuts). My favorite nut by far is the pecan.
The tastiest treat in the entire world can make by covering them in a sweet and salty candy coating.
This is a healthier version of my old go-to recipe for candied almonds. However, since it gets sweet with coconut sugar and maple syrup, it does no refine sugar.
Also, I can now eat my crunchy, delicious pecans almost guilt-free.
Egg whites, coconut sugar, maple syrup, and salt are first combined. I’m done now. only four ingredients. Simple, yes?
After whisking everything together, stir in the uncooked pecans (not as paleo candied nuts).
They should be spread out from others on a parchment-lined baking sheet that is with a rim. You’re going to want to use the parchment paper, I promise, to prevent sticking and facilitate cleanup.
Your paleo candied pecans are ready after an hour of roasting at 250°F.
Enjoy it with paleo candied nuts.